Learn more about how the world of money works and economic fundamentals. Find answers to your questions about recessions, what an economy is, how money is made, budgeting and saving, credit, types of businesses and more.
Last Updated: Nov 14, 2008
- Daily U.S. Consumption for 12 Items
America buys goods at a high rate, so it's no wonder the U.S. is considered 'the land of plenty.' Read about the daily U.S. consumption for 12 items, including denim jeans and movie tickets.
- How Fair Trading Works
It's pretty trendy to buy and eat organic and sustainable foods, and chances are the swanky coffee shop you frequent proffers some fair trade beans. But what does the label "fair trade" mean?
- How Bartering Works
Imagine a world without cash or credit cards. You'd barter to get what you need and want. Today, people and businesses are still trading goods and services. But can these cash-free transactions be taxed?
- Can I really trade my dollars in for gold bullion?
You can trade your dollars in for gold bullion from Fort Knox whenever you want -- right? Maybe not.
- How Currency Works
What is currency, exactly? We all know currency is a piece of paper or metal you can trade for stuff you need or want, but who decides what your money is worth? And why does its value fluctuate?
- How Exchange Rates Work
What exactly is the cost of money? What are the fundamentals of exchanging dollars for other currency? We'll explore these questions, plus give tips for money-changing travelers.
- How the Euro Works
Believe it or not, the Euro was the idea of Winston Churchill in 1946, when he suggested the creation of the "United States of Europe."
- How the New $20 Bill Works
With the introduction of the new $20 bill, the U.S. Treasury has introduced a whole new element to the dollar: color. Learn about the new look of the currency and about the benefits of the new features.
- How much money is "all the money in the world"?
Just how much is "all the money in the world"? Find out how this amazing number is calculated.
- What is inflation?
Inflations seems to be in the news on a regular basis. Have you ever wondered what inflation is and how inflation affects the value of our money? Find out in this article.
- How Money is Made (Video)
We all know money doesn't grow on trees, but have you ever wondered where it comes from? Learn more about money in this video from HowStuffWorks.
- How Capitalism Works
The essence of capitalism is economic freedom and the belief that widespread personal wealth will lead to societal well-being. But does anyone even practice true capitalism these days?
If you are a subscriber to the LibGuides product and would like to add this guide to your own LibGuides system - here are instructions on how to do that. Feel free to use the guides as a whole, individual pages or modules as you'd like. No attribution necessary. We hope you find these resources helpful!
- Login to your Libguides admin interface
- Click on "Create New Guide"
- Select "Use a guide from another institution as a template"
- Enter the URL of this guide (or the one you want to use): http://hsw.libguides.com/economics-guide
- Enter the new title and description you want to use for your guide - i.e. you might call it "Animals Guide" instead of "HowStuffWorks Animals Guide". (feel free to keep the description that comes with the guide if you want or change it)
- Click on "Create New Guide" button
- Click "ok" to the alert message that it will be emailing us to let us know you are using the guide (we don't mind)
- Your new guide is created and the guide has been copied over to your system. You can now enhance the guide with your own local content, modules, pages, etc. or feel free to move around, rename or delete any of the pages, modules, etc. you need to.