From skydiving to rock climbing to exploring the world's most famous landmarks -- find your inner explorer. You'll also find adventure travel, city guides, family vacations, national parks, scenic drives, disaster and wilderness survival resources.
Last Updated: Nov 19, 2008
Learn about the amazing roadside attractions that came into fashion
during the height of our nation's fascination with the Great American
- Worlds Biggest Roadside Attractions
The world's biggest roadside attractions run the gamut from a huge artichoke in California to a giant chest of drawers in North Carolina. The appeal of being the biggest was successful in attracting customers from far away places. Learn more.
- 12 Strange Tourist Attractions
From corn palaces to giant balls of twine, this world has plenty of strange, quirky tourist attractions. Some of our favorites are on this list.
- 13 Vintage Businesses on Historic Route 66
Route 66 the mother road is dotted with saloons motels and kitschy pit stops. Learn about the vintage businesses along historic Route 66 including the Cozy Dog Drive-In and the Buckingham Fountain.
- 22 Romantic Kissing Spots in America
What makes a place romantic enough to inspire a long passionate kiss? Being together in beauty -- whether in a natural setting or a creation of the human imagination -- can certainly help affections flow freely.
- 6 Peculiar Museums in the United States
Some museums display fine art -- others opt for replica electric chairs. The unusual museums on our list showcase peculiar items from history and culture that you won’t soon forget.
- 8 Quirky Festivals in North America
Festivals such as the Rattlesnake Roundup and Secret City Festival are held every year. Learn about eight quirky festivals in North America including the Secret City Festival and Frozen Dead Guys Days.
- Paranormal and Other Strange Roadside Attractions
They’re the anti-museums: roadside attractions so puzzling we ask "why was this created?" But that's exactly what so many tourists are looking for in the Information Age: things that boggle the mind not enrich it.
- Roadside Statues
Roadside statues are delightful vacation diversions. These larger-than-life creations were known for putting small unknown towns on the maps of every highway traveler. Learn about some of America's most popular roadside statues.
Learn about United States terrain with this HowStuffWorks map. Discover more about United States maps.
If you are a subscriber to the LibGuides product and would like to add this guide to your own LibGuides system - here are instructions on how to do that. Feel free to use the guides as a whole, individual pages or modules as you'd like. No attribution necessary. We hope you find these resources helpful!
- Login to your Libguides admin interface
- Click on "Create New Guide"
- Select "Use a guide from another institution as a template"
- Enter the URL of this guide (or the one you want to use): http://hsw.libguides.com/travel-guide
- Enter the new title and description you want to use for your guide - i.e. you might call it "Animals Guide" instead of "HowStuffWorks Animals Guide". (feel free to keep the description that comes with the guide if you want or change it)
- Click on "Create New Guide" button
- Click "ok" to the alert message that it will be emailing us to let us know you are using the guide (we don't mind)
- Your new guide is created and the guide has been copied over to your system. You can now enhance the guide with your own local content, modules, pages, etc. or feel free to move around, rename or delete any of the pages, modules, etc. you need to.
- Geography & Maps Guide
Geography is the study of the Earth's contours and regions, including man-made divisions. Find interactive maps, articles and video about all of the major continents, the world's oceans and other physical features.
- United States History Guide
Explore the exciting and colorful development of the United States with this collection of resources about American history. Topics in this section include the American Revolution, the gold rush expansion of the West and the World Wars.